Health is our topic today, so grab a smoothie and let’s get started. First, I want to share this quote.
“Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are.”
-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
So, what are you eating and why? The whys in our life usually tell and take us to the root all problems. Some people have a hard time pinpointing why they eat the way they do and others know exactly. Everyone is different with different personalities which is why this is not a one size fits all kind of thing, but our health is. We are what we eat and if you are eating trash food that has no nutritional value, then that’s what your body looks like on the inside. If this is the case, you should make a change in and to your diet.
I realize, as I just mentioned above, that there could and probably is an underlying issue to why you eat the way you do. We need to work on that first or you will just keep going back to the comfort foods and never improve.
If you struggle with eating because that’s the only thing you seem to have control of in your life, then you need to take a look at gaining real control. You eating whatever you want is not you in control! That’s just you destroying your body because it feels good at the time and nobody can stop you. If you think you’re the only one who has ever been tempted to down a carton of ice-cream to make yourself feel better, than you’re mistaken. In the end though, this doesn’t help. These bad choices we make take away from our overall health and ability to function at full steam. They also make us feel worse because of the mental beating we give ourselves afterwards.
Let’s talk about what would help our health. You have cravings, we all have cravings, that only certain foods seem to satisfy. In reality those cravings usually mean our body is lacking something. So much of the time our body is talking to us and we ignore or don’t translate properly what it’s saying. Here’s an example: If you crave chocolate then you’re probably lacking magnesium or another type of mineral. A healthy alternative would be raw nuts, legumes and fruits. This would be one of many examples. If you would like more information on this, a great resource is FoodCravings
To take control and realize what our body is saying, we need to be tuned in to it and not just feed it because we’re hungry.
Here are a few suggestions to help you get started on creating a healthier change and a way for you to look at the food you eat in a positive light. Also, we will look at how it’s making you feel and of course, who it’s making you become. Remember, our insides are reflected on the outside and that applies to more than just food and health, but I have digressed. We can dive into that another time. For now, here is the list. Add to it if you like.
- Find the real problem and work to deal with and fix it!
- Every time you go to the grocery, think about what you’re putting in your cart and would you like to be that item.
- Find a different outlet for you to vent your hurts, pains and frustrations. Instead of food, try working out, writing, painting, screaming. Okay just kidding about the screaming part, that doesn’t help:).
- Start small creating new habits so you’ll be more apt to stick with them. Example: If you are a six-pack or twelve pack a day pop drinker and trying to quit, then you would cut one pop out a day for the first week, then two the next week. Keep decreasing the amount on a weekly or daily basis until you’ve reached your goal.
- Put reminders on your phone, fridge or mirror, wherever you feel you will notice them the most.
- Control your mind, tell it NO, instead of letting it control you! If you have this one handled you wouldn’t even need the rest.
- Get an accountability partner, one that will actually hold you accountable!
- Be consistent, do not justify why it can’t or won’t work or you might as well not start in the first place, because you have just told yourself you can’t do it.
- Stay positive even if you mess up or cheat. The point is you are trying and that’s the number one goal here.
Words are powerful things people. Whether it’s said in your mind or out loud, it will have great effect on any and all areas of your life. Your health is huge, it improves your mental and physical functioning, along with your attitude and longevity of your life. If your friends try to discourage you at anytime to improve upon yourself in this area or any area, then you need to change your friends. We are who we associate with!!! Some of your old friends might not care about you as a person, they just care that you stay down in the mud with them. True friends will encourage and love, but bad friends will discourage and smash your efforts to improve.
I know you thought this article would be about what good foods to eat. Rather, it’s about the choice to eat good foods. Because I’m a person who cares about you and don’t want to see you disappointed, I will include a couple of smoothie recipes below. Why smoothies? Simple, because I like them.
1 cup milk (skim or whole)
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 cup ice (optional)
1 tsp. turmeric (optional)
Directions: Mix all ingredients except ice in blender and blend. Add ice last if you like. Pour in a tall glass and enjoy.
If you would like to add more milk to thin it out then feel free.
Mango and Kale Smoothie
2 cups mango
2 cups milk (skim or whole)
2 cups kale
1 scoop strawberry powder mix (optional)
1 cup ice
1 tsp. turmeric (optional)
Directions: Mix all the ingredients except ice in blender and blend. Now add ice if you like and blend some more until smooth. Pour in a glass and enjoy.
Now, enjoy your body and make changes that will add to your health and future.
Cheers -Heather Earles
For more healthy tips visit: Turmeric for your Health