Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 9:37 — 7.7MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS | Subscribe to Herb 'N Wisdom and Natural Living
One of my favorite holidays is here so that means it’s time to plan some healthy but delicious snack foods.
Yes, healthy food can have a wonderful flavor. It just takes a few more minutes to prepare.
What’s more important, healthy foods mean guilt-free you and me.
I enjoy eating and socializing, like any other person and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Making or preparing a meal and inviting friends over or bringing the feed to the lake is enjoyable, especially when it’s food that’s full of flavor. Anyone can pop a bag of potato chips and eat empty calories, but it takes a special kind of person to make 4th of July Recipes that will stand out
A meal doesn’t always need to be perfect, as far as completely healthy, but eating potato chips, drinking pop, and slamming down quick meals all Summer can leave you sluggish, bloated, and ready to put a little more effort into
Healthy 4th of July recipes are the perfect solution to starting your Summer off right. Why not add a little pep into your picnic and enjoy your celebration of our great country along with your excellent cooking? Need some recipes?
Well, here you go. Here are my top Healthy 4th of July recipes.
- 3 avocados, ripe.
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced.
- 3 tbsp, fresh cilantro, chopped. (Optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 lime, juiced.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pick three ripe avocados and slice them in half,
- remove the pit and scoop the inside meat out, removing everything up to the skin.
- Put the tender insides into a mixing bowl.
- Once all of your avocados are cleaned out, gently mash them until you have reached your desired level of smoothness.
- Now, add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, and salt.
That’s it. You now have a delicious, healthy, and easy to make 4th of July guacamole.
Whether it’s homemade or you are buying it from the store, yogurt feels good going down on a hot summer day.
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh Strawberries
- Frozen blueberries
- Any other choice topping.
- Make your yogurt or buy it from the store.
- Keep cool until use.
- Choose your topping or toppings (perhaps blueberries and strawberries for the 4th), layer them in a jar or bowl and serve.
Lemon Water instead of Lemonade
What you drink is just as important as what you eat. Drinking fresh lemon or lime water instead of dumping in powdered lemonade will taste a lot better especially in hot temperatures. Freshwater will also quench your thirst, unlike surgery drinks that will leave you wanting more.
- Fresh lemons
- Fresh Lime
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Take your desired pitcher or water jug and fill it with water and ice.
- Squeeze your lemons and limes and pour in.
- Now, slice extra lemon and lime to garnish the sides of your glasses or pitcher.
- Add fresh mint leaves if desired and serve.
Patriotic Vegetable Tray
Nothing says 4th of July then the American Flag. Although this is not the type of flag you fly and salute, this is the type you eat. I love it because you can change the vegetables around every time you make it. Just be sure to keep your stripes in order and eat from the end :).
For the white stripes use:
- water chestnuts,
- parsnips, or
For the red stripes use:
- and red bell peppers.
- Take a large cookie sheet,
- slice your desired veggies and
- arrange them in order to match the colors of an American flag.
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
This is the dip you will use for the section where the stars go:
Recipe by wellplated.com
yield: 1 CUP, APPROX. prep time: 3 MINS total time: 3 MINS
A quick and easy creamy ranch dip that is completely guilt-free and tastes just as indulgent as the original!
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Fresh chopped chives — for garnish (when not using it for an American Flag dip.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients: Greek yogurt, garlic, onion, dill, salt, Worcestershire, and cayenne.
- Add blue food coloring until you have a nice hue.
- Finish by cutting radishes or kohlrabi with a small star fondant cutter and placing the stars on top of the dip.
- When you are using the dip for any other occasion, garnish the top with your freshly cut chives.
- Refrigerate the leftover ranch dip in an airtight container for up to three days.
Creamy Pasta Salad
Recipe by – barefeetinthekitchen.com
Prep Time 10 mins. Cook Time 1 min. Total Time 11 mins
6 servings, Calories: 297
This is a fresh, slightly tangy pasta salad with plenty of different flavors.
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 8 ounces salad macaroni or ditalini pasta
- 1 cup tiny broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white wine or plain vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, adding a generous tablespoon or so of kosher salt to the water as it cooks. Just before the noodles are done cooking, add the broccoli to the pot. Let the broccoli boil for about 30 seconds and then drain everything into a large colander. Rinse well with cold water.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked pasta and broccoli to the bowl and stir well to coat. Add the cucumber, pepper, and onions and stir again. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir again just before serving. Enjoy!
If you forget to toss the broccoli in the boiling water at the end of the pasta’s cooking time, you can also steam it in the microwave. Place the broccoli in a glass bowl along with a tablespoon of water. Microwave for 60-90 seconds, until the broccoli, is bright green and barely softened.
Be First to Comment