Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 5:16 — 7.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS | Subscribe to Herb 'N Wisdom and Natural Living
My first introduction to hamburger soup was while having a game night with some friends.
My good friend got the recipe from her sister, who is the wife of a farmer and makes it each year when they have their bull sale. Hearty and filling, she makes a substantial amount that satisfies the hungry crowd.
As I had never tried it before, I was excited to see how it tasted. Besides a person who loves a new recipe, I’m always looking for something the kids will enjoy and isn’t our norm.
In short, the hamburger soup tasted phenomenal! The kids had two bowls a piece and raved about the flavor; a compliment to the cook. Well, that was it, the very next week the kids requested I make it again and the rest is history.
So, here it is, the popular…
Cook time 1 1/2 -3 hours
- Large stockpot
- Medium pot
- Chopping board
- Cutting knife
- 6-9 cups of chicken broth
- 8 cups of diced potatoes (with or without skin).
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons parsley
Ingredients for making the roux:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
Additional toppings (optional)
- Shredded cheese
- In a large stockpot bring 6 cups chicken broth to a boil.
- Add diced potatoes (with or without the skins).
- Next, brown the ground beef with desired seasonings.
- Add to the stockpot.
- With reserved drippings from the burger, saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add to the stockpot and cook until the veggies reach the desired consistency.
- At this point, add your basil and parsley.
- Make your roux by melting the butter and then stirring in your 1/2 cup of flour until you have a paste.
- Stir into the soup until well mixed.
- If needed add additional cups of chicken broth. I determine this before adding the roux.
- Top each dish with cheese or other desired toppings.
Now, if you will excuse me, I’m going to clean up my kitchen ;). Enjoy!
Be First to Comment