Sunscreen among other things is always better when it’s home-made. Not only do you learn something new, but you know exactly what you are putting on your skin.
It’s scary when you look at the back of the bottle of sunscreen you buy and realize half the ingredients you can’t pronounce. The other half are rated 9 out of 10 as being toxic to our bodies. Why you may ask are the companies allowed to use them? Something that is beyond my knowledge. I’m just a normal mom who thinks we should be putting non toxic things on our bodies and our children, but what do I know. A doctor, (whose name I cannot disclose) said sunscreen over 15 SPF is more harmful to you than the sun because of the chemicals that are used. To say I was in shock when I heard this was an understatement. I am happy to know now and share it with you, so you don’t have to worry about chemicals, toxins or burns.
For you parents and or singles. I am going to give you a chance to protect your skin without harming it and here is how.
- Kitchen scale
- Glass bowl
- Glass jar
- 45 g. coconut oil
- 32.5 g carrier oil (almond oil/jojoba oil/apricot oil)
- 14.25 g beeswax
- 13.75 g shea butter
- 1/4 Tbls vitamin E
- 20 g. zinc oxide: non-nano, uncoated, not micronized
- Measure out all of your ingredients except the zinc oxide, on a gram scale zeroing it out each time and place in glass bowl.
- Now place the bowl of ingredients over a pot of 1 inch simmering water creating a double boiler.
- Melt the ingredients completely while stirring with your whisk.
- Remove the bowl from the pot and wipe down the outside removing any condensation.
- Pace bowl on scale and zero out. With mask on add the zinc oxide until you have 20 grams.
- Whisk and slowly pour some of the mixture into glass jar, whisk some more and pour. Repeat this until all of the sunscreen is in the jar (or multiple ones depending on batch size). We want to make sure the zinc oxide is mixed in well.
- Allow sunscreen to cool and then put lid on jar. Store in cool place out of sun.
- Apply every hour as needed while out in sun.
This sunscreen is at least 20 SPF and provides protection from UVA and UVB rays. It will protect you and your kiddos while providing peace of mind so you are able to enjoy your time in the sun. It honestly takes about fifteen minutes to make. That is less time than it would take you to run to the store, so go get online order your ingredients and be at piece knowing you and your family are protected both from chemicals and sun.
Here’s to creating a healthier you!
Here is a link to another of my tutorials: Turmeric for your Health