Do you have a favorite holiday recipe?
I would love to hear what your favorite recipe is and share it here for others to enjoy. Just send me an email or write a comment below.
Everyone has a holiday favorite when it comes to food. Dessert aside, this cream peas and carrots happen to be mine. Is it healthy? Well, that all depends on what you call healthy :). Since I make it with peas and carrots from our garden and cream from our cow I am deeming it healthy haha. You can too, just be sure to buy fresh ingredients.
Cream Peas and Carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas and cut carrots. If you don’t have fresh or frozen from your garden you can use 1(16 ounces) package frozen peas and carrots.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Water, about 2/3 cup.
- Take a medium saucepan and combine your peas and carrots and enough water, about 2/3 cup, salt, and pepper if desired. Steam through on high heat (a boil) to soften the vegetables. Not to the point of mushy but where they are still a little firm.
- Once desired texture is met, stir in your butter.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour and cream.
- After a paste has been made, stir it slowly into the peas and carrots.
- Cook over medium-high heat until it’s thick and bubbly, about five minutes.
That’s it! You now have a family favorite that you can easily make for the holidays or any time during the year. Serve it over mashed potatoes, as its own dish, or use it as a gravy for your meat. No matter how you try it you won’t be disappointed in the taste.
Note: Some of the quantities shown in the pictures look to be larger than what’s described in the ingredient amount. This is because I always make a double batch ;).