Sometimes when you wake up in the morning, the last thing you want to do is cook breakfast.
Everyone needs to eat, though, so having something prepared ahead of time is key.
This recipe is easy to make; the flavor is incredible where you want to eat the whole loaf in one sitting, and when you put fresh butter on a slice, you feel like you’ve died and gone to Heaven. In a food analogy kind of way.
Now that your mouth is watering let’s start making some banana bread!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about two)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup currants, nuts, or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use non-stick oil spray (I use avocado spray) on loaf pans.
- Stir together flour, soda, spices, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl beat together egg whites, sugar, and the bananas.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into the banana bread mix.
- Gently fold in currants, nuts, or chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or a little less if you are using a convection oven.
- Stick a toothpick or butter knife in the center to see if it comes out clean. If the dough sticks to the toothpick or knife you need to cook the banana bread for a little while longer.
That’s all there is to it. Make a double batch so you won’t run out. The banana bread freezes really well so sometimes I make four loaves at one time with different things in each, (i.e., nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips).
Once you get the recipe down, add other ingredients to make it your own.
Enjoy, and until next time, stay healthy and free.